Friday, March 20, 2009

Listening

I had one of those aha moments yesterday. It involved my son Joshua.

I found him playing with some perfume that I have and I Immediately took it away. He follows me into the bathroom just crying. I continue to get ready in the bathroom. The whole time Joshua is just crying pointing to where I had just put the perfume. I keep telling him it is not a toy. He just will not stop crying so I put him in time out in his crib. With in a few minutes he stops crying.

I go into get him out. I open my arms to get him out and he grabs my hand and opens it.

And he puts the lid to the perfume in my hand. That is all that he wanted, he wanted the lid to go back on the perfume.

What a moment to teach me about listening. Sometimes the crying isn't what it seems. Sometimes all we need to do is open up are hearts or hands . We need to just give that extra bit of time.

Sometimes in life we do not know who to express ourselves. Just like my 2 year old who just can not say the words Mom here is the lid. He was crying and pointing and I assumed he just wanted the play with the toy.

Just give a few extra minutes of your time. Try to listen try to understand. Do not assume. Maybe they are just wanting you to put out your hand so that they can tell you want they need.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Very well said. Lots to think about.